Re: Can performance and composition coexist?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug K on September 06, 2000 at 08:28:29:

In Reply to: Can performance and composition coexist? posted by MG on September 05, 2000 at 21:28:27:

I think branching into the other areas of music is a wonderful idea. The more I talk with college music graduates the more I'm convinced that we are on the front of something wonderful. More often than not, they wind up in music related jobs that were not their primary focus in school -- and loving it! I myself am about a year away from an ed degree, and am already thinking about my masters in either performance or composititon. That's one thing you could think about -- continue your performance degree, take extra composition courses just to see if it fits you, if it does then do your masters in that field. The options are endless. Personally, my dream job would be teaching low brass at the college level part time, and performing and composing with the extra time. Variety is the spice of life. Another thing... if you're just starting in college for performance, you might want to hold off on any major decisions. Most of the time these decision will make themselves as you go through the theory and ear training courses and get exposed to the world of music. Good Luck !!!!

Doug K

Follow Ups: