Re: Grand Rapids York

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on September 07, 2000 at 22:38:48:

In Reply to: Grand Rapids York posted by Dale on September 05, 2000 at 21:35:36:

Hey there!

There was apparently also a BBb brother of this tuba made! I have a tattered BBb that matches the description and photo above remarkably. The slides of course are much longer, but I'm sure it's the same valveset (~.660 bore), Bell section, and bottom bow.

Mine also has the dastardly loop before the main slide. Problem is, my particular horn for whatever reason was built to not have the slide interchange- it's low-pitch only. The loop is all soldered (really looks stock) and there's a weird little waterkey on the loop that wouldn't need to be there if the slide was removeable. Of course, someone hacked the main slide as short as possible trying to bring it up to pitch (It still plays about 30 cents flat).

Steve or Dale, Do yours have a waterkey in the loop? Maybe my slide is hiding in the loop?

Anyone else out there own or seen this horn in BBb? Just curious- I'm planning to "restore" mine. Maybe put in a front action valveset. Converting it BBb to CC would be a stretch- the leadpipe and main slide are already reeeealy short. The main taper is probably too 'quick' to shorten with without ruining intonation.

Any thoughts?

Mark in Ohio

Follow Ups: