Re: Tuba Repair: Is there any hope?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on September 08, 2000 at 04:27:17:

In Reply to: Tuba Repair: Is there any hope?! posted by J. Paul on September 07, 2000 at 17:42:58:

I may be too much of an optimist, but I think this would be an excellent opportunity for you to change those things about the horn you didn't really like anyway. I'd suspect that if the valve cluster is still good, and if there are no tears in the metal, then it would be worth fixing. If most of the dents are in the larger braches then dent work probably wouldn't be do difficult or time consuming for an equipped shop. However if alot of the smaller tubes are also dented requiring alot more disassembling then it might not be cost effective. Another option you have is to find a cheap older 3 valve BBb or Monster Eb that isn't very dented and have it cut down or extended to a CC, using the valve section of your own horn. If the base horn isn't too dented you could end out with a nice horn. Or you could sell the horn. If the valve section is still good I'd think you could still sell it for $500-1000, especially if it was a 5 valve horn. Even a tight wad like me would fork out $350 if the valve section is good.

Follow Ups: