Re: Tuba players in Germany

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keating Johnson on September 09, 2000 at 01:33:49:

In Reply to: Tuba players in Germany posted by Julian on September 08, 2000 at 18:17:28:

Here is my background. I have been to Germany roughly every other year, and some stays like Köln or Berlin especially for up to 4 months at a time. I have been to tuba juries at the Hochschule für Musik in Berlin (Bachelors and Masters in performance), have studied conducting there spring semester 1998 and conducted several military bands and have played in a few brass quintets and a community orchestra. Berlin for example--all players, even oom-pah bands had 4 valve tubas at least. Big orchestras use F tuba a lot, BBb a lot, and more CC tubas with Americans. Deutsche Oper Berlin has Mark Evans and Berlin Radio Symphony has Rich Nahatsky--CC Nirschl York in his case. So--mostly 5 and 6 valve F's and 4 valve BBb's, and the few CC's 4 or 5 valves. The students in Berlin and Köln typically had F's and use BB's in opera, Wagner, Mahler. I coached a tuba quartet in Berlin with 3 F's and one BBb during spring semester. Sorry to be so long winded but this is complicated for players over here and they do emphasize F tuba just as the British emphasize Eb tuba as their main instrument.

Follow Ups: