Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strike Votes _vs_ mgmt -vs- union-bustin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ex-Union on September 12, 2000 at 15:54:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strike Votes _vs_ mgmt -vs- union-bustin posted by Rick Denney on September 12, 2000 at 10:18:44:

As an ex-professional violinist (Albany Symphony) and now professional engineer, I can identify with the supply-demand argument. If I get fired from my current job, in my specialty I can get another job within days. During my one year at Albany (it was a personal trial period to find out if I really, truly, could not stand the politics associated with being a musician) the orchestra divided itself into two factions, one of which was trying to get the conductor fired, and the other trying to retain him. It was impossible to not be in a faction...if you did nothing, you were "assigned" a faction by the other faction's deciding you were the enemy.
That was enough for me...the decision was clear, and I am now quite happily making a substantial income and playing in a community orchestra. I sympathise with those of you who are struggling with the professional music scene.

Follow Ups: