Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the original CSO Yorks, Satin or Bright?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on September 12, 2000 at 19:08:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: the original CSO Yorks, Satin or Bright? posted by Dale on September 12, 2000 at 18:38:57:

I believe the tuba on Mr. Donatelli's lap is the York that Mr. Jacobs ultimately bought from him, but not THE York with which we associate his prime years in Chicago. THAT York was the "twin" which went elsewhere, and was found by Donatelli at the U of Oklahoma, on his last tour with the Philadelphia Orch. He contacted Jake, who purchased it from the U of O. After some rehab by Carl Geyer, it became his York of preference. This is the horn currently played by Gene. THIS York has a unique appearance in the realm of York BATS. It is noticably shorter and more compactly wrapped, almost like a big "Piggy" with pistons. Proportionally similar to the compact dimensions of the Conn 52J. Other BATs have noticably taller bells, greater distance from the top of the top bow to the bell edge.

Of the copies I've seen, the copy that most resembles these proportions is the Nirschl. I haven't seen the new Yamaha.

Bob Rusk supervised a 5th valve and some re-wrap and an overhaul on my York 5/4 about ten years ago. I believe he's a good York historian, and he said the style was satin silver outside.

Follow Ups: