Re: Eb Sousaphone for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Bloom on September 12, 2000 at 23:38:26:

In Reply to: Eb Sousaphone for sale posted by Joe Baker on September 11, 2000 at 22:13:38:

Joe: Unfortunately, other than what a 3-valve E-flat Sousaphone that needs work is worth, this is largely a philosophical question. I've been an "E-fer" guy for almost 40 years, and I've probably owned or played over 50 different models and configurations. Universal problem: 3-valve E-Flat horns have very little value these days unless they have some particular rare quality (e.g., J.W. York front action "Giant" tubas, Civil War vintage or 1880s horns such as Pepper, Distin, or others). Sousaphones have it even tougher, since their use is limited to those who can stand a 20 pound instrument sitting on their trapezius for any length of time. Plus, a lot of contemporary directors simply have no patience for Sousaphones in a concert medium. If your horn's sound and feel are so superior to anything else you can reasonably afford, it might make sense to get it overhauled. Your chances of selling it for what it's worth to you are slim unless you can find another person who shares your feelings about that particular design and key. I'm not really a fan of the 10J, either, so you might want to check out other available alternatives. You can still find older E-flats out there occasionally that are larger and have a bigger sound than the 10-J, some that may even approach your Sousaphone. Just my input, for whatever it's worth, but it's your call, my friend. Good luck!

Follow Ups: