Re: Re: Bach Mouthpieces Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on September 13, 2000 at 06:43:38:

In Reply to: Re: Bach Mouthpieces Help posted by Steve Bloom on September 12, 2000 at 23:01:15:

I have to disagree with you, Steve. I have a Mt. Vernon Bach 18 which I have had since the mid-60's as well. When a friend and I compared it with his mid-90's vintage Bach 18, mine was noticeably heavier and the rim cushion was a bit thicker, as well as some slight deviation in shank taper as you noted. I have noticed similar differences with my ancient late 50's Mt. Vernon Bach 24AW and current ones as well. Likewise, a Conn 2 that I have had since the 1960's was heavier than one I purchased a couple of years ago.

I also note that an old King 26 (used to be standard with all King BBb tubas and sousaphones - interestingly a more bowl shaped design than the Bach 24AW or the Helleberg designs that were/are standard on Conns) I have is noticeably heavier than most of my modern mouthpieces.

This phenomenon leads me to wonder if some of the current trend to heavyweight mouthpieces reflects a general lightening of the older standard designs, to the point where it has become noticeable to sensitive players. Anyone have any thoughts?

Follow Ups: