Re: Euph as a second horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on September 13, 2000 at 21:17:28:

In Reply to: Euph as a second horn posted by Keith C. on September 13, 2000 at 15:20:19:

The biggest difference I find when going to the smaller mouthpiece is getting used to centering or focusing the buzz to the center of the embochure. I also use a slightly smaller oral cavity. Some people try using similar rims etc. I don't see how you can do that and still get a characteristic sound on Euph, but I guess some people can. I am not one of them. I treat the two as separate instruments. There are obvious similarities, but I still keep them separate. Start out with a medium sized mouthpiece like a 6 1/2AL or similar with about a 1" diameter rim. Do lots of long tones and lip slurs to get used to the small mouthpiece and work on tone. You will be using different muscles in the chops so it will take some practice to get used to it. Your endurance at first will probably be very short. Have fun. It is obviously a good double to learn and can provide you with a few more performing opportunities. ken k

Follow Ups: