Found a clip-on mic...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Reynolds on September 18, 2000 at 18:39:29:

I've been shopping for a clip-on microphone for my tuba and finally bought one this weekend. It's an Audio Technica Pro35x. This one was recommended by "Bill" and "Jan" on this board and also by a friend of mine who runs a pro sound company.

The Pro35x is a small condenser mic with a sort of clothespin-like clamp and a ~4" gooseneck. You clamp it onto the edge of your bell and then bend the gooseneck to point the mic element where you want it. It seems to have plenty of low end and handles high SPLs just fine. It does require phantom power. I've been running it through one channel of a mixer and then into my bass guitar amplifier. I'm real happy with the sound I get if I just scoop out some of the mid-range and leave the highs and lows flat. Haven't used it at a gig yet -- next one is in a couple weeks. Cost was under $200.

There are two other mics that "look good on paper", but I wasn't able to try. One is the Crown GLM-2000. This is a small omnidirectional condenser that I received a recommendation for via email. The specs look very good. The other mic is a Shure Beta 98. This one is similar in design to the Pro35x, but according to the graphs, has a better low frequency response. Either of these would be worth checking out if you can find one to try.

jr

Follow Ups: