Re: Conn Helleberg Mouthpiece mystery...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Bloom on September 18, 2000 at 21:48:31:

In Reply to: Conn Helleberg Mouthpiece mystery... posted by Tim Murphy on September 17, 2000 at 16:53:23:

After reading Matt's input I couldn't resist. Although Conn has been making the "Conn Helleberg" for at least 70 years, the dimensions were originally more similar to the "7B". Matt, I think you might remember that Tom Railsback has a Conn Helleberg that has to be 1910-1920 vintage and it's nearly identical in rim size, cup shape and depth, and throat to the 7B in my collection. Many of the other Helleberg copies that claim to be from the "original", such as Shilke and Mirafone, are similar. Where the larger size came in I have no idea, but Giardinelli picked up on it and so did Shilke with their 67 which by the way is one of the best all-around mouthpieces out there. The newer Conn Helleberg line is noted by its exterior funnel shape, whereas the older ones looked just like any other German-style mouthpiece. If Tim's mouthpiece has an exterior funnel shape, yes, it is a "large" Helleberg as Matt indicated. However, if it's an older one that pre-dates the "large vs. 7B" line, the answer may not be so simple

Follow Ups: