Re: Vibrato

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 19, 2000 at 16:29:16:

In Reply to: Vibrato posted by expressionless on September 19, 2000 at 15:30:46:

Expressionless:
Vibrato has been my nemisis since my teacher has started to incorporate it into
my playing. But his method is very useful and it sounds good! It mainly utilizes
a "wa-wa-wa" motion with your lips in your playing. This creates a slight change in pitch
(typically a slight lowering). The speed is controlled by how fast you can do this "wa-wa" motion. You can also control the extent that the note is changed. It lets you
effectively control every parameter of your vibrato and lets you really add color to your
playing.
In terms of playing with expression....there are many schools to this. I am one who is prone to "just do it". It is a pet peeve of my when there is a technical approach to playing musically. Do what you want to do and do what sounds good to you. Who else are you playing the instrument for? I hope that you're playing for yourself. So that is what you need to utilize to play musically. Have fun with it. Try extremes. Whether by volume, vibrato, timbre, or any other changable part of playing. Do what sounds good to you. If you ask me, that's what being musical is all about.
Good luck and keep practicing!!

-David Menard

Follow Ups: