Re: Yikes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 22, 2000 at 13:41:31:

In Reply to: Yikes posted by Richard C on September 22, 2000 at 00:59:08:

I have two pieces of advice for you:

If a person with that much moxie and chutzpah ever channels that energy into her playing, she'll get pretty good. I wouldn't take her current lack of proficiency for granted. As long as you keep working hard and improving, let the chips fall where they will. Be confident that you've done all you could to prove your worth by taking care of what you can control.

Let your horn do the talking. The surest way to be the director's favorite when it comes to getting the best available equipment is to be dependable and professional. Don't get into a shouting match with another student, that won't accomplish anything except to encourage her to push harder. Just play your best and let that speak for itself.

This same situation happened to me when I was just entering high school except that I was the youngster joining a section of two older players. I was placed third chair even though I was clearly a better player. Then the band did a piece that had a tricky rhythmic solo. Neither of the older players could do it so the director let me try. I nailed it on the first attempt. So I would advise you to do the work and be the best prepared player and let that fact justify your having access to the best equipment. Unless the band director is really horrible, he's not going to give the best player the worst equipment. Just make sure you're the best player.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: