Re: Yikes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by longtime lurker on September 22, 2000 at 15:48:26:

In Reply to: Yikes posted by Richard C on September 22, 2000 at 00:59:08:

I have had a similar experience, but, in my case, courtesy prevailed over ego. The best player needs the best horn, even if that means you are the one,(as it was in my case,) giving up the horn.

I understand that you were probably upset when you posted, (I would be), but some of your comments do not do justice to your cause.

The length of time a person has played an instrument is not necessarily indicative of their skill level. There is probably some correlation between the number of years spent playing an instrument and the demonstrable performance qualities of a musician, but it is probably not significant.

She might not be able to reach the mouthpipe on the larger horn. She has difficulty lifting the 3/4 horn. Therefore she is not able to utilize the larger horn better than you? Sorry, that conclusion doesn't follow.You forgot that physical size is not the sole determining factor in performance ability. Furthermore, given the availability of a variety of tuba stands, one does not need to be of a certain stature to use a particular instrument.

The only reason you need to justify using the Cerveny is that, since you are a better player, it benefits the school band more if you use that particular horn. Her, or your, desire for the larger horn is irrelevant to the question of which allocation benefits the band most.

Follow Ups: