Re: Re: Re: Re: A long way to go!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. - curmudgeon on September 24, 2000 at 00:06:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: A long way to go! posted by George on September 23, 2000 at 19:01:26:

I agree with you completely, and I would like to add a comment touching on the limited scope of...

..."MUSIC DEPARTMENTS".

"serious" music indeed :-/

I know that I am going off on a goofy tangent but to clarify, the history of "profound" music, according to them follows a certain path of "WHAT SURVIVES FROM THE AGES" (as it indeed should) up until about the mid-twentieth century. AFTER THAT, somehow the definition finds its way to "those who compose on government salaries" (ie: college prof composers). As Gomer Pyle would say, "surprise, surprise, surprise" (yeah, right). What egos, eh?, and notice how they are quick to define SUCCESSFUL free market artists-composers (John Williams, as one example) as "junk composers". Ahem, and their government subsidized "specks on pages" are expected to survive the century, much less a millenium?...Oh, and I LOVE the way that they all have "NEW MUSIC FESTIVAL"s honoring each other as "Special Guest Artist-Composer". What a racket...almost as bad as some of the preachers who fly their seminary buddies in from another city as a "World Famous Preacher" for several $$$$ when they, on the very same Sunday, are pulling the same stunt at their buddy's church in the OTHER city.

Yeah, I'm "fulla hate", today. Not really... It's just the world goin' round, while I watch.

Follow Ups: