Re: Fiberglass Sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 26, 2000 at 01:39:56:

In Reply to: Fiberglass Sousaphones posted by Jim D. on September 25, 2000 at 23:09:15:

The Elkhart, Indiana - style CONN model 36K is probably the world's favorite fiberglass, even though it is no longer made. They were extremely prolific. I have them for sale regularly, as do (I'm very sure) others who are vendors and fans of this bulletin board.

I did a rather well-remembered and rather embarrassing/enlightening to band directors blindfold test with a Conn 36K and a Mirafone 186 BBb once. The group of band directors picked the sound of the 36K unanimously.

Actually, most all of the fiberglass offer a decent sound when not broken, leaky, or full of paper wads. The exception, I would say, would be the Holton with its questionable intonation.

The least durable is Jupiter, and the second least durable is the (no newer than 20 years old) long discontinued Olds with its unreliable bracing system and particularly brittle fiberglass recipe.

The MOST durable, but unremarkable soundwise, would be the current vintage King.

A few LARGE Conns were made with a fatter body and short-action valves. They are just a bit harder to come by. To my taste, the regular-large 36K (mentioned at the top of this post) has the best balance of clarity and punch in its sound.

<<< Come-on Joe, tell us what you REALLY think. ;^) >>>

Follow Ups: