Re: Re: Re: Re: Besson Prestige

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold take 2 on September 27, 2000 at 05:34:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Besson Prestige posted by Jason G on September 26, 2000 at 23:23:51:

Sorry. I was stating my opinion. I thought I made that clear. With statements such as “I prefer the Sovereign” and “The Sovereign works really well for me” I really thought I was crystal clear in making it known that it was my own opinion. I also have my opinion in perspective. There are MANY euphonium players out there that can play a garden hose better than I can play my horn.

I have spoken to quite a few British brass band folks over the past couple of years, and I do know that they all paid list price for their horns. They couldn’t believe what we paid for ours. I wasn’t just blowing smoke. I apologize for offending by saying "Brit" I didn't take offense to it, and my mother is 100% British. As we go, I am learning new ways to be "PC" in today's world.

One reason that I didn’t care for the horn was that the tuning mechanism is difficult to get set up at the beginning of a rehearsal. Once you get it set, it is great. I think a better mechanism could be worked out. For me, it isn’t worth the hassle. I also thought that the Besson signature sound was gone. This was the biggie for me. Had the sound been great, I would have completely ignored the price and the tuning mechanism. In my opinion, I thought it sounded more like a Willson. The core of the sound was spread more and not round like Bessons in the past.

The cosmetic changes to the horn are nice, but I think all the new professional horns look nice. All in all, if I really liked the type of sound that this horn provided, I would consider the Willson 2950. As I stated to Matt earlier, he should try out quite a few horns before making up his mind.

Stating my opinion as inoffensively as possible (tone of voice cannot be posted on the BBS),

Alan Herold

Follow Ups: