Re: Problems with Conn Helleberg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russell on September 29, 2000 at 18:45:05:

In Reply to: Problems with Conn Helleberg posted by Soh on September 29, 2000 at 04:39:02:

I had played on a Shilke/Helleburg for four years in high school and two years in college. I lost it and did not have a replacement, nor did I have the funds to buy a new one. My professor had a used Conn Helleberg which he let me use until I could afford one and I have been using that mouthpiece ever since. At first, I couldn't stand the narrow rim; it killed my chops and gave me no endurance. It wasn't all bad, though. The advantages were a much bigger and warmer sound than I had been getting on my shilke, and once the endurance and flexibilty came back, I decided that it was a much better choice for me.

I couldn't tell how long you have been playing the Conn by your post, but if it hasn't been that long, maybe give it a little more time. Any mouthpiece has an "adjustment" period, but still we all look for the mouthpiece that gives us a nine octave range with unlimited sound and flexibility from the moment we first play it. It takes awhile.

I really hate the phrase "Hope this helps" and I think that it is used way to much on the tubenet, but:

Hope this helps,

Russell

Follow Ups: