aka: toilet paper roll "under" or "over"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 29, 2000 at 21:42:11:

Now HERE's a way to start a "discussion":

Speaking of sousaphones, how many of you (Most people that I see here in Memphis do.) assemble and "wear" your sousaphones incorrectly?

The neckpipe (pretty much REGARDLESS of brand) should approach your mouth FROM THE LEFT, and the bits should "finish" the approach from the left. In this regard, the "wrap" of the gooseneck follows (rather than defies) the general curvature of the instrument, as will the bell orientation, if you follow this rule.

I have seen sousaphonic bandsmen resort to wearing berets, etc., rather than the hats that the rest of the bandsmen would be wearing due to the bell preventing them from wearing a normal-sized band hat. (Perhaps, these days band hats in general are becoming out of style, anyway. ???) If, however, the instrument is assembled in the manner that I described above, there is not only room for a regular-sized band hat, but enough room for a full shako, if desired.

Also, if the sousa is "worn" correctly, it will only feel about 60% as heavy on the shoulder as if the gooseneck and bits are assembled "back-angled" with the sousa and bell inevitably turned too far sideways to compensate.

If my description is not clear, I can post a jpg of what I am trying to describe - as soon as my Sony Mavica is back from the repair shop...

...I tried to take a pic of my own mug and busted it ;^/

Follow Ups: