Re: Getting the kid a tuba - still

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on September 01, 2001 at 16:56:22:

In Reply to: Getting the kid a tuba - still posted by Tom T. on September 01, 2001 at 15:42:39:

Either a used Miraphone 186 or M-W model 25 would be good choices. You might have trouble finding them for $3000 or less, but they should be right around that price. I never liked the Amati 321 or Yamaha 321, but I think that the Cerveny's are good horns for the money. Another horn, similar to the Cervenys in price and design is the VMI 2103/103. These are available new for around $3000 and have received good reviews from several people, although I haven't personally tried them. The Musica 2300 is a stencil horn, that is, it is made for UMI by another company. I have heard that it is made by B&S, so it may actually be the same as the VMI 2103. If you call any of the large shops listed on this sitee they should be able to tell you for certain.

I think that the King is a good choice, for a good price. They generally have a nice sound and play well, although like every horn some are better than others. It will be heavier than the Miraphone or Meinl which may be a consideration, but everything else being equal it would be a perfectly fine tuba in your situation.

Follow Ups: