Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 05, 2001 at 08:15:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba posted by Matt G on September 05, 2001 at 07:25:13:

Mike Russo had the same idea, and it would have worked if he could convince his boss to potentially buy the 4 valve instrument should I not like it. In any event, Meinl-Weston's position was that if they made the instrument, 4 or 5 valves, it was sold. Who paid for it wasn't their concern. I told Mike not to even try to convince his boss to shoulder the burden because I didn't want to cost them money. My opinion is that if a manufacturer won't stand behind his work enough to allow a trial period, maybe the instrument just isn't for me. That was why I made the statement about hoping this isn't a trend among manufacturers.

Perhaps my conception of a custom built instrument is wrong. Perhaps Meinl-Weston treats any cimbasso they build as a special order. I can understand that, despite the fact that they list it in their catalog on their website. A cimbasso certainly is an unusual request when compared to the other types of horns they are requested to make. Perhaps that alone constitutes a special order, I don't know. I know that in my case, I focused on the 4/5 valve issue. In my mind, it still seems funny that a 5 valve Eb cimbasso wouldn't be a standard option. I even have a new student that came for his first lesson last week and he brought in a brand new Meinl-Weston 25 BBb tuba that was silver plated and had *5* valves. How many manufacturers make 5 valve BBb tubas stock, let alone silver plated rotary ones?

Just to clarify, both my Cerveny instruments were purchased when they weren't offered with 5 valves. In both cases, I purchased an assembled 1st valve and some extra tubing/crooks to make a 5th valve. I would be wary of doing this with a cimbasso because I know so little about the playing characteristics of that horn. Since M-W's Eb cimbasso doesn't come with a 5th valve, I'd want to know why before I was ready to gamble on adding one. With the Cerveny tubas, I found out why and it had nothing to do with playing.

Thanks for the good suggestions!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: