Re: Re: Re: horn relacquering?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 05, 2001 at 11:08:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: horn relacquering? posted by BJS on September 05, 2001 at 10:06:59:

I do not think so. But as with all other instruments there are well made sousas and sloppily made sousas.

From what I have seen, I would say, that the Conn sousas intended for the more pro oriented market are made with the same accuracy as their tubas intended for the same market segment.

But I have also seen a lightweight and smallbore Conn sousa with the same shortcuts in stays and other features, that can also be seen on other school instruments.

An Amati sousa, that I once tried was not well made. And musically it was even worse. A proper model name to have been engraved on that "instrument" would have been

WARNING!

DISASTER!

Serious sousa buying can be automatized as little as can serious tuba buying.

Tangential discussions have often run on this board. For me it was interesting to read Sean tell his personal preference for the Conn 20K being overruled by the military choosing the Yamaha (401?) for weight reasons considering the strenous parading.

It has also been interesting to read about JoeS preferring the Conn 14K in its older version with somewhat studier stays.

And then there is the wealth of sousa knowledge, which has been given on this board by Rob Perelli-Minetti. You will also find him acting as Rob P-M.

Klaus

Follow Ups: