Re: Re: Re: Re: beginner mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on September 05, 2001 at 21:07:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: beginner mouthpiece posted by NJ Student on September 05, 2001 at 16:46:20:

I have to disagree, to a point. I think that it depends on the individual. Is this 9-year-old on the small side of 9, or is he destined to be either a tuba player or a defensive tackle? Makes a difference in the nose-to-chin distance.

I have seen a lot of students that would have benefitted hugely from having a year or two on a smaller mouthpiece, because their embouchure is really screwed up to the point that they can barely get a sound out. Most band directors are not tubists, and most non-tuba-playing band directors often don't notice that the kid is trying to shove his/her entire face into that silver cavern, or that they're smiling like the Cheshire cat. The mouthpiece is so big that you can't see the mechanics of the embouchure clearly to see what's going wrong.

I think that starting on a 3/4 sized horn with a bass trombone mouthpiece is an excellent suggestion. After a few months of getting the mechanics of the embouchure working, then switch to a small tuba mouthpiece.

My opinion only.

Steve

Follow Ups: