Re: What'd you used to play

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on September 06, 2001 at 00:44:19:

In Reply to: What'd you used to play posted by Steve Dedman on September 05, 2001 at 20:54:55:

I started out on tuba last 10 weeks of my 9th grade year; there was no beginning band at my elementary school until that year, and I missed the band call at the beginning of my first year of high school because of ear problems. I learned trumpet fingerings as I was learning tuba fingerings, so I used to sit behind the 1st trumpets and play their parts when we had time off, which taught me to be dissatisfied with the lack of challenge of tuba parts. I learned to play trombone and baritone as a 10th grader just for the heck of it. The local symphony orchestra sent me to Transylvania music camp in Brevard, N.C., where I studied with John Taylor, who totally turned my playing around. I believe that he was studying with Arnold Jacobs at the time, and he passed along a lot of great information to me in a very short time.

In college, majored in Math and Music Ed. I picked up bass guitar and bought a MW 25. I sold the tuba a couple of years after graduation and have played bass in a general business band for 27 years. I have played rock, blues, shows, church music, jazz, etc. on the side on bass. Occasionally I would pick up a community band or Civil War Band re-enactment gig on the side on tuba using borrowed horns. I got the bug to play tuba again last winter, bought a Cerveny 601 4V CC, and have been enjoying it thoroughly. My heart and fingering skills still belong to BBb, though, so I'll be probably switching back within the next year.

Follow Ups: