Re: What'd you used to play

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on September 06, 2001 at 07:30:05:

In Reply to: What'd you used to play posted by Steve Dedman on September 05, 2001 at 20:54:55:

I started playing clarinet in beginning band. This was due to my grandfather owning an instrument, and not my actual desire at the time. As I progressed in school, I learned saxophone and oboe. By my sophomore year in school, The low brass section was loosing numbers, and I tackled baritone for marching band. This led me to have a deep dsesire to learn tuba.

As a junior and senior in high school, I was playing sousaphone in marching band, and bass clarinet in concert band. I also picked up trombone and string bass. By the time auditions were happening for college, I was able to play my way into full tuition rides on clarinet and tuba/euphonium.

As clarinet was still my strongest pursuit at the time, I went through undergrad school as a clarinet/bass clarinet major. As time progressed, I could hear the call of tuba/bass trombone. I soon admitted to myself that I was actrally a tuba/bass trombone player inhibited by a clarinet player's body.

After the undergrad degree, I took more tuba and bass trombone lessons, and did graduate studies as a bass trombone major, and doubling on tuba with some area professional groups.

In the end, I wish I had been able to start on tuba.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: