Re: PT6's vs. Rudy Meinl 5/4 vs. Wilson 3050

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 06, 2001 at 14:16:08:

In Reply to: PT6's vs. Rudy Meinl 5/4 vs. Wilson 3050 posted by jon schultz on September 06, 2001 at 09:07:13:

Already three different responses! This is to be expected as they are three very different horns. My personal favorite is the Rudy, but it takes a lot of effort to play, but is very rewarding. The issue with this horn is the .866 bore. The PT-6 is a very well reviewed horn, I have only played the PT-6P and I find it to be a York Jr. style horn. It sounds a little broader than a run of the mill german horn. The Willson for me is a little bright for the size of the instrument. It does put out a lot of wattage, but They seem to have some holes in the scale as far as eveness goes on the examples I have played. The Rudy out of the lot, I think, is really a 6/4 horn and sounds as such. The other two are more along the lines of 5/4, and not much bigger than a Meinl Weston 2155 (or a MW2000 if money is growing on a tree in your backyard), which may also be worth evaluating. If I had a need for a BAT, I would choose the Rudy Meinl, but I like the horn in almost every way, especially ergonomics, and would deal with some intonation problems for the sound they produce. If you are looking at used horns also, and can find one, and don't have an issue with some alternate fingerings an "old style" i.e. rotary Meinl-Weston 2155 is a good 5/4 size horn.

Good Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: