A kid in a candy store....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Wirt on September 10, 2001 at 16:08:39:

I would just like to share my most recent trip to the Baltimore Brass Company......

I was in the area about 2 weeks ago because there was a gentleman who was interested in a horn that I had for sale. I figured since I was only 20 minutes away from the BBC, I'd stop in and say hello....and check out the new place. So while the guy was trialing my horn, I ran over to the "candy store".

The new place is very impressive. Large floorspace and a nice big workshop too! Once of the first things I noticed was the ceiling....if you had been to Mr. Fedderly's house and are over 6 feet tall, you know what I'm talking about!!! He's got so much more space now. And it's full of horns and accessories. So after the full tour of the place, he invited me to sit down and try some horns. And I never pass up the opportunity to try some different horns!

So I made my way down the line of CC's....since that's what I was in the market for. The first one I sat down with was a new satin silver Conn 56J. This was the first one that I had played. Usually, I could only find the 52J. All I can say about this horn is "wow"! It has excellent response, intonation, a nice round sound and feels very open. This one also had the best action on it of any of the Conn's I had previously played. Next for me was the used Willson 3050. This horn had all of the qualities of a superb 5/4 CC, but also the agility and control of a 4/4. This horn would hold it's own in any sized orchestra and without being too overbearing.

The next horn that really turned my head was the used B&S PT-7P. I used to own a PT-5 and have played on a 6P, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. But this horn far exceeded my expectations! Hands down the best playing B&S I've played on. If you're in the market for a large CC, then I would say this one deserves a serious look. I thought about it for a bit, but it's just too much horn for me.

One horn that also got my attention was the Meinl Weston 2000 CC. I hadn't even seen one much less play on one. I'll admit that I like the sound of the Meinl CC's, but I could never make them work for me...not right away at least. But this one was quite a player. And felt a bit different than the 2155. Nice dark cored sound. VERY good intonation. Excellent response in the low, middle and high registers. I know these go for a premium price, but it IS a premium instrument.

The other really impressive CC's that I played on were the used Miraphone 188 and 186. I grew up on a 186 and really liked those horns, but hadn't played one in about 7-8 years. Man o' man were these two horns phenomenal?! Yeah, a few dings here and there, but the sound and feel of these two was very appealing. After playing the 188 for a few minutes, I stopped and looked at the horn with a smile. Mr. Fedderly said something to the effect of "Yes, it DOES say Miraphone on the bell". One day I'll own another....

As for the F's.....well, I always enjoy playing on the Meinl 45-SLP's. And there were a couple there that were really nice examples of this horn. But I can't get over how nice the Meinl 182 is. For such a small horn, it can create a really nice sound. I've never played one that I didn't like.....I've tried them in the US and in Europe and they've always been, in the words of Eric Cartman...."sweeeeeeeeet".

So, to make a long story short....

Mr. Fedderly was extremely helpful and patient with me that day. He has always been the upmost professional and a joy to deal with. I'm just thankful that we as tuba players get to have the likes of David Fedderly, Matt Walters, Tony Clements, Mike Russo, etc. to help us all find the "right" horns for us.

And yes, Mr. Fedderly did just that. While I was there, he had just received a used Hirsbrunner HB-2P from a gentleman on consignment. After playing a few notes on the horn, I knew this was it for me. I have looked for years to find the horn that allowed me to recreate the sound I've had in head....and this was it.

Once again.....another satisfied customer.

Josh

Follow Ups: