Re: Re: Re: Willson Eflat mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 10, 2001 at 17:26:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Willson Eflat mouthpiece posted by David on September 10, 2001 at 15:49:42:

It might be that the mouthpiece is too big. I'm not really sure how a PT-44 compares to other mouthpieces I have because I've never played on one. That said, I can tell you that my experience is that the bigger mouthpieces do have more intonation problems, at least they do with me playing them on the 3400S. Especially, I noticed that the low G, which I usually finger 2-3-4, was very sharp. Since I configured my 5th valve to a long whole step, I switched to a fingering of 2-4-5 and that fixed it. Later, when I started using slightly smaller mouthpieces on the 3400S, the problem wasn't as pronounced but I still use the 2-4-5 fingering. Do you also notice that using all 5 valves to produce low E natural is very flat? I know that this happened to me and it was very weird. The smaller mouthpieces fixed this too. I never had the problem you're having with the interval between the second and third harmonics. For me, this range has been dead on. Lastly, is the 3400 you're trying out a new one or a used one? The two I played on when they first came out had many intonation problems. I heard they made some adjustments to the horn years after it was released and these improved the horn, especially the intonation, quite a bit. If you're trying an older one, that also might be the problem.

Good luck in finding the right horn for you!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: