Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 11, 2001 at 12:59:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection posted by .... on September 10, 2001 at 14:58:30:

Unfortunately, I still have to disagree that any tuba really played every note in tune. Rarely would you see this, but I have to agree with the ideas of Dr. Fred Young. The physics of acoustics and an open tube's resonance dictate that certain notes WILL be out of tune with just or even temperment. Certain partials will be flat and certain partials will be sharp. This effects all fingerings related to that partial to some degree. This is why even compensating instruments don't play every note in tune in relation to the physics of an open tube. If you play well in tune to begin with (like I'm sure Dr. Marzan does), then ANY tuba you pick up with a decent scale will be in tune because of the respective player's ear and ability to subconciously lip the pitch. That is why it is best to check the intonation of any instrument with another person to listen and hold the tuner where you cannot see it and you should play the horn where the note "slots" the best and evalutate the pitch on that basis. You will find that 99.99% of the tubas out there, compensating or not, are, by nature, out of tune. When someone designs a tuba that plays perfectly in tune, that design will be copied and used until the end of eternity.

Matt G

Follow Ups: