Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colorado anyone??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Not all on September 12, 2001 at 23:49:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colorado anyone?? posted by Ryan Mariner on September 12, 2001 at 23:01:04:

Not all audition committees go into an audition with someone in mind. In the end, an auditionee must acknowledge that while certain conditions may exist in auditions, the only way to get the gig is to take the audition. Go in, play your best, let the chips fall where they may. D.C. has a right to grouse about what he suspects may have been the case in Colorado. Will it help him win the next audition? Probably not. Is he permitted him to vent a little, after spending the time, energy and money to prepare for and attend the audition? I'm willing to listen. I doubt he dwells on it constantly, nor lets it interfere with his preparation for the next audition.

Of the three elements you cited (technique, sound, musicality (I prefer "interpretation"), two are subjective. One committee members' idea of the "best sound" may not be the same as another, the same goes for interpretation. Quantitative elements include rhythm and intonation. Many committees screen candidates, especially in preliminary rounds, on accuracy, rhythm and intonation. A player may have the "best sound" and "something to say, musically", but that won't necessarily earn the player a ticket on to the next round. And this may differ in varying circumstances.

I do agree with you on one statement: Excuses don't win auditions. And I will also agree with your implication that it is futile for a player to actually worry about the prospect of fixed auditions. I however disagree with the notion that increased practice time and not worrying about a "fix" will necessarily yield results. D.C. (and others) may already be practicing "6-8 hours a day". Who knows, maybe even more :-)

Sometimes players who have all the technique in the world, and already think they have the "best sound" and "something to say, musically", are mystified when they don't win an audition. And these are very capable players. It's sometimes just not what appeals to the committee at that time. And sometimes, they just have someone else in mind.

BTW, I did cite specific instances, just w/o identifying the instrument, orchestra or player.

Follow Ups: