vocal / tuba question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by E. Oliver on September 13, 2001 at 22:45:32:

Alrighty!! I have a rather interesting question here: I regularly take voice lessons (opera to be specific) and my teachers constantly tell me to "send sounds back" or "bring sounds forward" depending on the timbre, tone, and range. I know that vocal work and brass work are basically the same, so I was wondering if any of my tuba bretheren practice this. I have listened to several recordings I own, and on Bobo's Libera (LP and CD) I cannot seem to hear much differentiation either way, but on my John Fletcher recording, I hear a twinkel of it, and I can hear it plainly in E. Dowling. I was wondering what some of your takes are on this.

Eric Oliver

P.s. For those of you who don't understand what I mean for "send this sound back" or "bring it forward" it is very difficult to explain, but try this at your computer (if no one is around) Take you hand and make a cup shape and face it away from you, plce your hand alongside you cheek. Move the hand very close to your mouth and try to "sing to your hand" invision your air going right to your hand, now, slowly bring your hand back toward your ear and keep invisioning your air going into your hand. You will (if all goes well) notice very clearly the "woofer" "tweeter" effect. The actualy act is more complicated, and there are other ways, like singing fro mthe bottom of your mouth, or from your forhead, but that is all I am ready to try to explain right now.

thanks!

Eo

Follow Ups: