Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best recording of Till Eulenspiegel?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on September 16, 2001 at 14:06:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best recording of Till Eulenspiegel? posted by Richard on September 16, 2001 at 11:27:43:

The Cleveland Orchestra is noticably more well endowed in artistic talent today than it was during those times. Of course, back then I don't think Mr. Szell had the budget that is available today to entice and to hire talent. When the principal players of those times were paid (in Y2001 equivalent $$) around $25000 - rather than today's $200,000 or so, the level of competition for those jobs simply was not there.

Mr. Szell's recordings are just as much a tribute to HIS talents as they are to the talent of those performing under his direction.

Probably this goes hand-in-hand with the general reputations of many legendary maestros of old being "tyrants". Tyranny or sorts in those days was perhaps necessary in order to bring forth the performances that they were able to offer, as evidenced in their recordings.

The Cleveland Orchestra has always been a fine, top-notch, world-class orchestra, and I enjoy hearing it continue to improve as time passes. However, given the choice of hearing "star" solo passages played by a Gail Williams or a Myron Bloom, I will always know prior to hearing that the Williams sound and interpretation will likely be far more inspirational.

So, how's the weather up there on the Lake right now?

Follow Ups: