Re: Re: Re: Re: Marine auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zac Spurlin on September 16, 2001 at 15:05:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Marine auditions posted by Frank on September 16, 2001 at 14:17:57:

I am a former Marine bandsman. I respect highly what the D.C. band stands for and the incredible musicians that make up one of the premiere musical units in the world. But I have to say yes they are technically Marines...but I was always taught that every Marine is a Rifleman. Does the President's Own do field exercises, or deploy, or for that matter go to the rifle range? No one is questioning your musical capabilities, but many Marines who are out in the field and earned their title through boot camp take that transition very seriously. I did do all that and play in one of the field bands and the grunts barely acknowledged, if they did at all, my claim. I am sure you guys get that a lot. We were constantly being teased and not called "Real Marines" because we didn't go to the field enough. The reality is the D.C. band has some of the finest players this country has to offer. The Marine Corps has some of the hardest fighting men and women this country has to offer as well. But I do believe there is a difference between D.C. and the rest of the world.

Just my opinion....
Zac
Former SGT USMC

Follow Ups: