Re: Willson 3050 vs. PT6P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on September 16, 2001 at 23:22:51:

In Reply to: Willson 3050 vs. PT6P posted by Josh on September 16, 2001 at 17:03:39:

*WARNING SOAPBOX ALERT*

What kind of playing do you plan to do? What do you think of these horns? When you listen to performances by pros playing these horns what do you think?

Obviously there are people that like both or they would not command the price they do and manufacturers wouldn't make them. It has been my token observation that answers provided to questions like this are usually more a commentary on the person providing the answer than it is on the horns in question. Most folks are better served by honing their skills on school horns, playing lots of different instruments, and listening to great performers make music on different equipment until they feel qualified to decide what they like for themselves. Every horn is a compromise after all and what works well for one may be a complete disaster to another. Only you know what you like and what kind of playing you do.

*END SOAPBOX*

With the fact that I'm not really talking about the horns at all but rather revealing my own playing preferences and deficiencies and in some narcissistic way trying to get you to be like me(what a terrible punishment for asking advice) out of the way, here goes:

First off I should admit that it's been a while since I've played a Willson and that I've owned a PT-6rotor for about four years. I'm recreating fuzzy memories on the Willson and extrapolating on the PT-6P. The Willson is a better built instrument. They are absolute tanks! If you have back trouble do not buy this horn. The precision with which they are put together is absolutely amazing and the valves are butter smooth.. the only pistons I've ever really liked although their rotors are quite good too. The downside to this horn is that they seem to be extremely mouthpiece sensitive(Have they gotten better about this?). I like to be able to slap any ol' mouthpiece in and expect to only change the sound without dramatically changing intonation or response. They are also not the most sensitive instruments. Playing at soft dynamics could be a very big challenge with this horn and the upper register seemed severely short changed in exchange for the monstrous low register. For this reason more than any other I think the Willson is more of a specialty instrument and I would only encourage someone to get it if they need to move brick walls from 100 yards away. Of course, it is also entirely possible that at the time I last played a Willson my chops just weren't efficient enough to fully appreciate what I was playing and the lack of sensitivity at soft dynamics was my own. I've never had major problems with range so I'm pretty sure my observation regarding the high register is accurate atleast for the specific horn that I had played.

The B&S, on the other hand, is a much more balanced compromise in my opinion. Always easy to play in tune regardless of mouthpiece choice of the moment(in reality I very rarely experiment with mouthpieces go figure) and equally easy facility at all dynamic levels and in all registers. You can still move brick walls with the B&S it just takes a bit more familiarity with the horn than the Willson expects. Both horns have a good sound albeit different from each other. Regardless of which horn you choose be sure to play it before you hand 'em the cash. Horns vary.

good luck,
joseph

Follow Ups: