Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best recording of Till Eulenspiegel?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on September 16, 2001 at 23:35:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best recording of Till Eulenspiegel? posted by Richard on September 16, 2001 at 22:19:06:

Gail never left Chicago. She was just the only horn player that I have ever heard (in a lengthy recital where I was seated in an unusual recital situation virtually right next to her bell opening) who played flawlessly in every possible way that I could observe, and who seemed (although I know better) to do so with only reasonable attention to what she was doing. I believe her to quietly be perhaps one of the very greatest all-around (qualifying as "tops" in orchestral AND solo playing) horn players of all time...up there with THE legendary horn player (whose name we both know without mention).

While we are having fun with inflammatory statements, here's one:

As much as tuba playing has progressed, there has still only been significantly less than a good handful of players who could stand, expressively and technically, side-by-side with the most notible players of most other wind instruments. While the finest violinists and pianists still outrank most of the finest known wind players in most people's views, our instrument in particular has yet to make its significant mark in the ears of non-tuba-ists.

Follow Ups: