Re: noisey valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 18, 2001 at 08:41:04:

In Reply to: noisey valves posted by Chris on September 17, 2001 at 23:11:17:

If your horn still has the factory linkage (the all metal, screw adjustable type), I would say to replace that with some good nylon ball & socket linkage. I found that factory linkage very noisy, no matter how much oil I put on it. If you tighten the screws enough to make it quiet, it becomes much slower. This is all assuming the noise is coming from the linkage.

If the noise is coming from the valves themselves, make sure the back valve cap is on securely. This could cause the valve to hop up and down inside the casing if it were too loose. This sort of motion would be very detrimental to the valve and it would be very noisy. Unfortunately, the previous owner may have done this intentionally because the valve is slow or binds when the cap is on properly. If this is the case, you have a much more serious problem.

It also could be the stem of the valve is clapping against the side of the upper valve casing port. This is the result of constant wear and is normal. You could make sure you put lots of a heavier oil (something like 3-in-1) directly on the stem to cushion it or you could take the horn to a competent repairman and have the valves adjusted so that the stem isn't loose in there anymore. I would only trust somebody who knows what they're doing to do this operation, I definitely wouldn't try this myself.

Good luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: