Re: Jupiter Sousaphone Valves/Sticking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Geezer on September 19, 2001 at 13:40:32:

In Reply to: Jupiter Sousaphone Valves/Sticking posted by Jason on September 18, 2001 at 18:37:09:

Honestly, other than stupidity or money, I cannot fathom why anyone would buy any sousaphone other than a Conn or a King today (in the past Holton and Martin were also reasonable choices). The designs were perfected more than 60 years ago, with fiberglass/plastic construction of the major branches the only significant innovation, and that some 40 years ago now.

No foreign-designed sousaphone comes close to the sound and quality of the classic Conn 20K, Conn 14K, or the King 2350 (1250A old designation).

Bessons are awkward, have intonation problems, but are the best of the bunch. Yamahas are a pale, heavy thing. (You'd think the Japanese could at least make a good Conn 20K copy, but nooooo....). The Jupiter's I've seen were very, very heavy and didn't sound very good.

At NYC Tuba Christmas last year I hefted a Jupiter along with my Conn 20K -- the Jupiter must have weighed 4-5 lbs more! Our local high school has a King 1270 Giant, their one Jupiter (which no one will use) with a 26" bell is actually heavier than the .750 bore King with a 28" bell!!

Make sure the Jupiters are well insured and hope for some providential lightning! Then buy Conns or Kings.

Follow Ups: