Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thayers on tubas....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 20, 2001 at 17:37:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thayers on tubas.... posted by Chuck(G) on September 20, 2001 at 17:20:17:

Opera seems no defense against some of the attack profiles of Nimda. The virus can apparently attached itself to any Microsoft web server, and download to a target computer as a Java application, running automatically upon arrival. Opera supports Java, too.

But Outlook seems to be a mechanism for launching an attack from an infected computer that is not a web server. The other mechanism is through shared network disks. So, even though you can still get infected as an Opera user, you may not infect others through email attacks.

I do not virus scanning, thinking my safe-computer practices sufficient to protect me. But for the first time I updated McAfee and turned on the Winsock scanner. On the other hand, many of the servers in our company were infected, even those behind sophisticated firewalls.

Rick "who can't believe his cheek in discussing a virus with an expert on hard-disk forensics" Denney

Follow Ups: