Re: Re: Eb Sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 21, 2001 at 02:53:19:

In Reply to: Re: Eb Sousaphone posted by Dan Schultz on September 20, 2001 at 16:30:41:

These considerations are valid.

Even if I am of a slightly smaller and lighter stature I have had a funny type of experiences with my Conn 26K.

I owned this instrument a number of years before I had any intentions of doing any real tubaing. The main purpose was to use it for warm-ups of the opening-up-and relaxing-my-breath-support type in hinsight of my playing bass bone. These morning exercises often were done in a somewhat cool place. Hence the use of an often generous fleece type torso emballage.

Let’s say that a somewhat relaxed (please read lazy) body posture occured. Even in such situations I want a positive valve action. So I got rotten, when one or more pistons worked, as if they were lubricated with almost dry clay. Oh, have I checked, cleaned, and oiled pistons in such early morning, less than conscious, situations.

Always to realise that it was my bodybacked soft clothing, that had blocked the air escape of the bottom valve caps.

A type of experience never repeated with my present first-in-the-day-instrument, the 40 K, which does not sit on my body, but on a Wenger chair.

Despite these considerations I can not avoid relaying a link to a beauty, which has found its way to my screen this morning.

I really like the looks, but I will also air my reservations.

The just 24" inch bell looks overwhelming, so the bell throat must be somewhat smallish dimensioned.

This is one of the no-fake-tubing Eb Kings. And that with an almost doubled amount of valve tubing. So the matter of how much space, there is left within the main circle, should be seriously considered.

And there is no statement of the valve tightness.

Klaus

Follow Ups: