Re: Copying music. A Crime?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Clments on September 21, 2001 at 09:50:58:

In Reply to: Copying music. A Crime? posted by Tubist on September 20, 2001 at 22:59:09:

Sorry, I HAVE to get in on this one. Not only is it a crime to steal intellectual property, but it is foolish and short sighted. Selling music is how composers, arrangers and publishers make their money. If an arrangement, or a new piece doesn’t sell very well, what is the incentive for the composer or arranger to write new pieces, or the publisher from publishing more of that artist’s work? We are ALWAYS clamoring for new, better, more varieties of music, ESPECIALLY for our instrument. Copying costs the publisher sales, and the composers and arrangers royalties. It is in EVERYBODY’S best interest to purchase music, LOTS of it. I have 4 file cabinets FILLED with tuba music. Yes. Much of it is junk that will probably never get played, but at least the composers got their ‘piece of the action’ on the sales. I know a FINE young composer who writes wonderful music (I’ve played SEVERAL of his works) who has decided to go into computers because he can make a better living writing code than tuba music. This is OUR loss, folks! Please, feel free to BORROW music for informational purposes, but if it is something you like, or are going to play, for ALL of us, buy a copy.

Follow Ups: