Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copying music. A Crime?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on September 21, 2001 at 15:12:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copying music. A Crime? posted by publisher on September 21, 2001 at 12:53:33:

I have three Schubert works for male chorus sitting here in front me that were purchased through normal channels from an unnamed publisher. I also have facsimilies of the original works published back in the 19th century by Breitkopf. In every case, in the first or second line, one of the modern parts has been changed with regard to note value; i.e. a crochet changed to a quaver or some such thing. Clearly an error and something easily found and corrected.

But this systematic insertion of errors to provide some sort of watermarking is really reprehesible. I can only assume that this is the purpose. What's next? Insertion of a stray accidental?

In my own humble opinion, though, we're arguing about trifles--the classical sheet music business isn't doing well at all--there are fewer and fewer people who want to listen, much less perform this sort of stuff, which is the real problem.

But I'm with Rick--a friend embarked on a new second career teaching middle-school band recently. I warned him that it was going to be hard to find really good band music as the likes of Warner Brothers (who owns most of that market in the US) are dropping old arrangments as fast as they can in favor of stuff like "Hits from the Little Mermaid".

Follow Ups: