Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copying music. A Crime?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on September 21, 2001 at 19:47:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copying music. A Crime? posted by Chuck(G) on September 21, 2001 at 19:20:53:

"Copying a hired part is illegal by the letter of the law, unless permission to do so is given by the publisher (there may also be the educational 10% guideline but that's ANOTHER issue)."

This is a victimless crime. I have enjoyed the benefit of such copying of parts that would be unavailable to me otherwise. On the other hand I have purchased parts to such tuba blockbusters as Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony, the Elgar Syms 1 & 2, and Nielsen 2nd. I actually used my own part to the Nielsen in a performance because it had my notations, and a couple of corrections marked in.

On a couple of occasions when I had copied a page to cover a page turn in a rental/fee royalty part, I returned the copied page with the part for use by the next player.

There's a page turn in the Kalmus ed of Finlandia that's impossible outdoors if your music is clipped. So my orchestra's library has two parts. The one they paid for, and the one I copied for outdoor use. There's law, there's ethics, and there's common sense.

Follow Ups: