Re: Eb Tubist Survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Good survey for public reply on September 21, 2001 at 22:24:34:

In Reply to: Eb Tubist Survey posted by Allan on September 21, 2001 at 10:10:37:

Allan,

I've played Eb tuba for about 5 years now, with the majority of that using a Besson 983. I used to play an older Miraphone 186 BBb, but ended up playing mostly quintet music, and thought the Eb would make the upper register a little easier. It seemed to help some, but I think most of the improvement was mental. I did find the range from G up in the staff to middle C to be a little more responsive on the Eb.

Now however, I'm playing in a variety of groups: 40% quartet, 40% quintet, 20% brass choir (12+ piece) or pit orchestra (usually about 20 pc). As a result, I'm missing the easier low register of the BBb in the larger groups, and the Besson Eb has a little too broad of a sound when covering the euph part in my quartet. In my opinion, if you want to own a single tuba, and you're willing to compromise in these two areas (above), then the Willson 5V non-comp Eb is the ideal, single tuba (if you can afford it). The Besson 983 isn't bad either, but I've quite enjoyed the Willson's I've tried. I just didn't/don't have the money to buy one.

So I'm moving to a different type of compromise situation. I've sold one Eb and am presently in the process of selling the 983. I've purchased a 3/4 Amati F tuba (Cerveny CFB-654-6 clone) for the quartet, and I'm planning on buying a 4/4 BBb when the 983 sells. This means I'll use the BBb for most quintet pieces (but the F for anything labeled "bass 'bone" or for baroque things, etc.) and for the larger groups. I'll use the F mostly for the quartet, where it's just the right size and character of sound.

If money were no object, I would add to my 3/4 rotary F and my hypothetical 4/4 BBb a Yamaha YFB-822, and then use it exclusively for the quintet. Maybe if I win the lottery!

Regards,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: