Huge Tuba ??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by E. Oliver on September 22, 2001 at 14:17:08:

Hi Guys!

I was sitting in Wind Ensemble Thursday and the composers from our composition class were going through their pieces with the ensemble. I had just finished with my piece and the guy after me handed out a piece with a part for, as he put it, "huge tuba." He plays euphonium and knows a bit about the tuba. Anyway, about this time, class was over and we decided to delay his piece until Friday. Well, having seen this "huge tuba" notation on his parts, I went looking around Graham to see if there were any 6/4 horns.
The local junior high school has some huge tubas that I suppose haven't been used in probably 30 years. They are made by Conn. They have detachable bells with the bell measuring about 28" to 30". They stand about 45" tall. There was no model # I could find and I wqas wondering if anyone could tell me a approx model number or tell me where to look. Also, after I played this in band, I spoke with the JH director and he said that since he never uses these huge horns, he might be willing to part with them, and I was wondering if there would be any value in cutting it to CC, sticking on a 5th valve and having a 6/4 CC. I was surprised with the playing of the horn, it was fairly open, considering the size. I think several people thought I was high after playing it. tehe.

thanks in advance,

Eric Oliver

Follow Ups: