Re: I need advise.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 22, 2001 at 15:05:27:

In Reply to: I need advise. posted by Rather not say on September 20, 2001 at 10:28:02:

I think that Rick Denney hit it right on the head. Go see your professor outside of lesson time and if you have it masterclass time. Deal with him without the horn and sometimes even music in the way. Get to know your teacher and let him get to know you. Not that you need to become buddy-buddy with them, but you both need to be clear on where and how and why and what you both need to do to create a high quality end product. We live in a human world and need to deal with each other in human ways. Music is the ends to a mean so-to-say. If you notice, a lot of the people who we hold in high regard in the music world often had a good relationship with at least one o their instructors.
On the flipside of Rick's comment, my wife during her undergraduate and master's work (mathematics) would always seek out the pertinent professor's advice when she was in need. She did well enough in her undergrad to more than triple the amount of scholarships dollars needed for her to go to school, and in her master's degree she recieved a 4.0 (very tough, esp in math!). She is now doing her Doctorate work at Brown while working full time. She still seeks out the professor's advice when she is having trouble and it ALWAYS helps. I wish I had payed more attention to her practices when I was in school, but alas hindsight is 20/20.
To answer your question: Don't get frustrated. Go talk to him one on one (which can be difficult with music professors, but that is another beef) and discuss, in a civilized manner, your thoughts about your progress. Ask what he feels your long term and short term goals should be. If they don't match up se what need to be adjusted so that they can better coincide. Remember, YOU are paying for these lessons. YOU, must work to benefit form YOUR investment. College is a job and a job is work. Not all work is immediately rewarding, but if you continue the struggle, you will succeed. If your work is unsatisfactory, unrewarding, unrewarded, or unusable, than seek "employment" in another profession.

Good Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: