Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 24, 2001 at 09:12:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS posted by jeez on September 23, 2001 at 22:14:20:

In all major moral systems since Hamurabi, repeating "I heard a rumor..." is immoral. It is called gossip, and it does terrible damage without seeming to.

This is a public forum. These rumors soon get repeated, without the disclaimer, outside the forum, and eventually you have a full-scale urban legend and the NY Phil is taking phone calls from "interested applicants" and wondering what the heck is going on. Then, maybe some jerk orchestra personnel manager gets the idea that someone really is hiding something, and you have a REAL problem to sort out.

Don't believe it doesn't happen. It has happened to me.

If such rumors as these are true, then they will be told to us from an authorized source in due time. But, unless you are an authorized source, relating, even as a "rumor", is plain, old gossip, which has no place on a public forum.

In these days of no moral training, lots of well-meaning folks don't realize that gossip is immoral, so I'm offering this bit of education. Hopefully, folks will explore their own moral codes and find it for themselves.

Rick "non anonymous, and not picking on Andy" Denney

Follow Ups: