Re: Which Tuba should I buy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Clements on September 25, 2001 at 23:45:51:

In Reply to: Which Tuba should I buy? posted by Shawn on September 25, 2001 at 16:22:36:

Shawn,

before you get a good answer to your question, you need to know a couple of things:

First - What kind of playing do you intend to do? If you are going to be playing dixie, or small ensemble playing, you DON'T need a B.A.T. If you are ONLY doing large ensemble (concert band, orchestra) you MIGHT want something a bit larger. If you want a good all around tuba, you'll want a 4/4 size that'll do just about anything.

Second - What key? There are DOZENS of arguement for and against one key vs another. Pat Sheridan sounds GREAT on e-flat, I sound like CRAP on one. Again, band and orchestral playing, get a CC or BBb. You can use either in a brass quintet.

Third - Budget. While this not very sexy, it is REALITY, If you only have $3,000 to spend on a tuba, stay away from Hirsbrunners and Wilsons.

With this information, you can make an educated, informed decision. Good luck, you are starting on a WONDERFUL adventure.

Follow Ups: