Re: Re: Re: Dumb Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on September 26, 2001 at 09:34:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Dumb Question posted by Jim Andrada on September 25, 2001 at 18:08:45:

After looking around a little bit, I found this in the Grove Concise Dictionary of Music. I had to read it twice to make sense of it, but I read it as supporting your statement above (look for another traditional system). I hope it's legal to post :/

Pitch notation
The earliest pitch notation of the type used now (to distinguish by their octave notes of the same pitch class) is based on the scale or gamut of Guido of Arezzo (see Hexachord; Solmization). Most standard pitch systems nowadays follow, or are based on, the system devised by Helmholtz in 1862. Here the notes are named in octave groups extending from C to the B above. The octave below middle C is notated c, middle C is c', then c' etc. The octave below the C below middle C is C, the octave below that C, (in the Helmholtz system) or C' in the system used in this dictionary etc. Another traditional system shows middle C as c, an octave above c', an octave below C, two octaves below CC, etc. Several systems have been devised using inferior numerals, with middle C as c&sub4;, with the octave below c&sub3; and the octave above c&sub5; etc. Other systems have been used based on numerals, with 12 to each octave in ascending order (such systems are favoured for the notes of keyboard instruments).

Follow Ups: