Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tuba Dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on September 28, 2001 at 19:13:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: F tuba Dilemma posted by Andy Smith on September 28, 2001 at 18:37:14:

Andy,

I would suggest looking at some even smaller mpcs. Like Dale, I'm no F tuba player, but the basic principles that I know still hold. However, in trying a smaller mpc. on the F, it will exacerbate the tension with the conductor about the size of the sound. If you are very lucky, you will find a smallish mpc. that works well for the tuning on the F, but still allows as big of a sound as is humanly possible on a smaller-sized F tuba. That's the dilemma.

Also realize that not everyone can do everything on just one mouthpiece. My teacher can, but if I have a choice, I choose not to do that. I have a couple of mpcs. that I use alternately; a PT-48 for large ensemble stuff, and a PT-34 for smaller ensemble and solo music. The 34 doesn't let me get the big sound that I need in a large ensemble, but it really helps with the security of my high register and doesn't sacrifice the tone at all. Generally, I choose the mpc. that best fits the situation and allows me to play and sound my best.

The mark of a great teacher is not only teaching what works best for the teacher, but also helping the student identify what works best for them, even if it might be something the teacher wouldn't necessarily do, and then helping that student learn how to use that "something" to their advantage.

Good luck...

SD

Follow Ups: