Re: adding a fifth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 28, 2001 at 21:33:25:

In Reply to: adding a fifth posted by David VanDeMaat on September 28, 2001 at 15:03:15:

Where do you live in Florida? Being a naive I know the state well, but also know that finding someone to do that work in that state would be quite tough. Roy Lawler in the Orlando area is probably the best tech in the state, but he is very busy making his own trumpets and doing repair work for established clientele. If you know someone who deals with him often, then you may be able to "get in". The other guy who was showing progress in repairs was Andy Lane who now ironically is the pops conductor of the Orlando Philharmonic (quite a career shift). I think Lee Stofer is in the Atlanta Ga. area (please correct me if I'm wrong) and he would seem to be the nearest person up to this task. I personally would schedule the time with a guy like Matt Walters and have him do it whenever you would have the least need for the horn (over a summer or whatever). I agree that a fifth valve would be beneficial, especially in the flat whole step configuration. I would recommend doing like Jay Bertolet did and getting all of the parts from the Cerveny factory if possible and a new leadpipe in case if the first one, that will be cut, gets damaged or if the conversion makes the horn worse (always a possibility) then you can reverse the process. If you wanted to be super spiffy, then you could copy the fifth valve setup on the old MW32's that could be switched from a flat whole step to a 2-3 combo in about 1 minute. The best thing about customizing a horn is that it becomes more of "your" horn.

Best of Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: